Image description

Cheadlevillage.net

Join the best group in Cheadle

Cheadle SK8

Ralph Bullock, Bullocks Coaches

 Your Village : Your Community


Image description



Ralph Bullock, Bullocks Coaches  by Ian O'Brien                      


Image description

Ralph Bullocks surname is 

Image description
Image description

The Old Rectory had orchards, barns, stables and most probably an ice house (ice houses were used before refrigerators where snow and ice would be collected in winter and insulated to last for months)

Now if you compare the watercolour with the other photographs, they don't seem to have a great deal of resemblance, this is probably because the house was extensively altered and modernised which led to the belief that it was 18th to 19th century.

The two storey porch was the only sign of it's Tudor origins,

the original house was actually very big, in 1664 it was shown for the Hearth Tax as having no less than 13 hearths, when in fact the next largest house only had 5!!! In 1728 it was described as having six bays, measuring 100 feet in length.

In 1440, the Bulkeley family moved to Anglesey, and their old manor house then became a Rectory with the possibility of their youngest son being the Rector.

Image description
Image description

In fact, the Bulkeley's have several times been the rectors and priests of Cheadle as well as Lords of the Manor. Of course, we remember that Lady Katherine Bulkeley, the nun whose ghost is said to haunt The White Hart and other parts of Cheadle.

The Rectory was badly damaged by fire in 1767 and then lovingly restored. More re-building was done in 1839 to the north end after the building was this time badly damaged in a bad storm. A decision to demolish The Old Rectory was made in 1937, and prior to that happening in 1939, public tours were extremely popular with people who wanted to see the beautiful interior of the building. When it was finally demolished, some of the workmen found original wattle and daub walls. (Wattle and daub is a composite building material used for making walls, in which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw.) 

Image description

They also found an unused rushlight (A rushlight is a type of candle or miniature torch formed by soaking the dried pith of the rush plant in fat or grease).

The start of World war two put an end to any other findings at the site. In 2014, the Post office that now stands where the Old Rectory used to be was set to be moved into the village itself into a building once called Alcocks fashions, this was thought to be a cheaper option than it's present site, and would have been a brilliant opportunity to process and record any archaeological remains that may have been found. However, it will now stay where it is combining it's services with WH Smith instead.

Image description

AllswellDesign.