Image description

Cheadlevillage.net

Join the best group in Cheadle

Cheadle SK8

Image description

The Transport of Cheadle 

Cheadle North Station



Cheadle North Station, by Ian O'Brien

Two railway stations came to Cheadle in the same year, the first one on the 1st February 1866, it was located a mile north of the village. Cheshire Line Commitee owned the new, but arguably remote station, the main building was on the south side of the line, (the side where Golden Days garden centre is) and it was referred to as the 'down line' or the 'bottom line' but it's proper name was Cheadle North.

It was built in what the CLC favoured to be a well poportioned red bricked style. The twin pavilion structure consisted of a two-storey stationmasters house forming the the larger pavilion, while the other was single-storey, connected to it by an entrance hall and a ticket office, where a swept-down roof covered the waiting area on the platform.

A single-storey wing projected eastwards from the main Victorian office block, set back from the platform. The stationmasters house included a bay window, and where the present day 'Golden Days' Garden Centre is, was the station coalyard. On the 'up' side of the platform (north of the line) was a large bricked waiting shelter with a slate roof. Also on the 'up' side of the platform, and in a similar style to the station, were two houses for railway workers in the form of a semi-detatched block.

The signal box was at the west end of the 'up' platform,It controlled  the main line through the station, as well as access to the station goods yard which was located to the west of the station, south of the line. The goods yard had two sidings, (a siding, in rail terminology, is a low-speed track section distinct from a running line or through route such as a main line or branch line or spur. It may connect to through track or to other sidings at either end.) a goods shed, and a 5-ton lifting crane. There was also a high siding to the north side of the track.

Whilst it was open, Cheadle North would have been served by trains running between Godley (a suburb of hyde) and Altrincham, with passenger sevices from August 1873. The line would also have been served by trains running between Stockport and Liverpool. The station closed in 1964 and is now the Cheshire Line pub and restaurant. The station house itself became the Station pub, later the Cheshire Line, and the Victorian offices became the brewery, which was brewed on site by a Mr David Pollard, known for his best bitter. And of course, the coal yard became the Garden Centre.


Image description
Image description
Image description
Image description
Image description
Image description

AllswellDesign.